- 1 cup Del Real Foods Frijoles Refritos
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Del Real Foods Salsa de Molcajete Verde
- 2 tbsp crumbled cotija cheese (or a cotija-queso fresco blend)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp ancho chile powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 package Del Real Foods Cheese & Bell Pepper Pupusas, room temp
- Escabeche :
- 2 jalepeños, sliced into rings
- 2 radish, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 8 chili de arbol
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1.5 cups white
- Distilled vinegar
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp pickling spices
- 1/2 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- chopped cilantro
- queso fresco
- escabeche (radish, jalepeño, red onion, carrot)
- sliced avocado
- Del Real Foods Salsa de Molcajete Verde
In a large pan, preheat the olive oil to medium for a few minutes. Add the first 4 ingredients and saute for 5 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook for another minute.
In a large measuring cup, mix the vinegar, water, salt and sugar. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
Add liquids and remaining spices and cook at a low simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool at room temperature, then chill. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4 weeks.
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
Prepare falafel by combining Del Real Foods Frioles Refritos, egg, spices, flour, cheese, and salsa to form a thick, wet batter.
With a cookie scoop, drop a heaping tablespoon of batter onto parchment covered baking sheet, spaced evenly. Bake for 7 minutes.
While the falafel is baking, slice avocado and chop cilantro.
After 7 minutes, flip the falafel over and place the pupusas on another baking sheet and place in oven. Bake additional 5 minutes, remove from oven and let rest for 1 minute.
Slice the pupusas in half and carefully stuffing them with falafel and garnish with toppings. Careful, as the cheese filling will be hot. Could also be served with grilled vegetables and Del Real Foods Arroz Mexicano.